- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Barcelona closing in on Chelsea star
- Updated: 28 March, 2012
Chelsea defender David Luiz has again been linked with a move to Barcelona after SPORT reported scouts from the Catalan club watched the Premier League side play Benfica on Tuesday night.
Luiz starred in Chelsea’s 1-0 Champions League victory at the Estadio da Luz, a result which makes Roberto Di Matteo’s team firm favourites to progress to the semi finals when the teams meet again at Stamford Bridge next week.
The Brazilian international was also linked with a Chelsea exit last week by the Daily Mail, who claimed Barcelona were ready to pay up to £35 million for the 24-year-old Brazilian, and speculation is sure to increase further after SPORT revealed Barça officials were in attendance in Lisbon.
Pep Guardiola has been forced to utilise former Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano at centre-back this term, and with 33-year-old Carles Puyol nearing the end of his career, Barcelona are desperate to recruit some extra defensive cover during the summer.
Luiz arrived at Stamford Bridge in a £21 million deal from Benfica in January last year and has been in impressive form for Chelsea in recent months, prompting the reported interest from the current Spanish champions.