- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
CHELSEA CLOSE IN ON SPANISH TEENAGE STAR
- Updated: 8 March, 2012
Chelsea are on the verge of signing exciting Hércules striker Ashford Michael Dawkins who is currently on trial at Stamford Bridge.
The blues were first alerted to the 16-year-old before Christmas and former Chelsea boss Andres Villas-Boas is reported to have personally watched Dawkins play for Hércules’ juvenil side in Spain’s Liga Nacional.
Spanish media site Informacion.es are now reporting Chelsea are close to finalising a deal for the player which is believed to be in the region of €150,000, after the youngster impressed during his current trial period at Stamford Bridge.
Dawkins has also been linked with a move to Valencia but Hércules youth team coach Adolfo Soto said Dawkins would favour a move to England.
Soto added: “Ashford is strong, hardworking, powerful, explosive and very gives everything for the team. “Clearly he is a very important player for us and if he goes to Chelsea will miss him. But here we all want the best for Hercules and for Ashford.
“He has a very big future ahead of him.”
Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has made it clear he wants the club to strengthen their youth academy and a number of promising young players have already been linked with a summer switch to Stamford Bridge.Follow @icentrocampista