- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Chelsea and City set for La Liga transfer tug-of-war
- Updated: 10 April, 2012
Chelsea and Manchester City look set to fight it out with Barcelona for the signature of Jordi Alba, after the Catalan stepped up their efforts to sign the player according to el Mundo Deportivo.
The high-rated defender has been linked with a move to Chelsea for a number of months and Sky Sports last week quoted Alba’s agent, Vicente Fores Cornejo, as confirming representatives from Stamford Bridge have been in contact with Valencia, along with officials from Barcelona and Manchester City.
However, MD today claim Barça have made further contact with the club as they look to win the race for their former youth player – also reportedly on the radar of Italian giants Milan.
The 23-year-old is currently in contract negotiations with Valencia but these have stalled, leading to increased speculation that the left back will leave the Mestalla at the end of the season.
Alba, who can also play further up the field, was linked with Chelsea during the January transfer window and with the player’s current deal expiring next summer, Valencia may be forced to let the player leave now or risk losing Alba on a free transfer.
Chelsea face Barcelona in the Champions League semi final at Stamford Bridge in two weeks, with Roberto Di Matteo’s men hoping to put there recent poor league form behind them.Follow @icentrocampista