- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Chelsea and Man City target La Liga star
- Updated: 24 June, 2012
Manchester City have joined Chelsea in the race to sign Atletico Madrid defender Diego Godin according to Mundo Deportivo.
Chelsea have long been linked with the 26-year-old and it was suggested by The Sun in October that former Stamford Bridge boss Andres Villas-Boas wanted him as a replacement for Alex.
However MD now claim Manchester City are showing increased interested in the Uruguayan international and are willing to pay in excess of €15 million to take Godin to the Etihad Stadium.
Godin arrived at Atletico from Villarreal in 2010 and has gone on to play over 50 games for the club, becoming an integral part of Diego Simeone’s side that finished fifth in la liga last season.
The centre back has been capped 47 times by Uruguay and is seen as one of the most consistent defenders currently playing in Spain.
Manchester City meanwhile won their first league title in 44 years last season as Roberto Mancini guided the blues to a dramatic final day triumph over QPR at Eastlands which piped bitter rivals United to the crown.Follow @icentrocampista