- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Chelsea star happy with La Liga return
- Updated: 29 June, 2012
Chelsea starlet Thibaut Courtois has spoken of his happiness after the club agreed to extend his loan deal at Atletico Madrid.
Petr Cech remains number one choice at Stamford Bridge and Chelsea will allow the young Belgian to return to the Vicente Calderon for a second season after impressing in La Liga last term.
Quoted in Spanish sports daily MARCA, Courtois told Atleti’s official website he was delighted with the deal: “I am very happy to return for another season, it is a fantastic club with great fans. I hope we can make it into the Champions League at the end of the season and also repeat our success in the Europa League.”
Chelsea signed Courtois on a five-year deal from Genk last July but immediately sent him on loan to Spain where he played over 40 games last season.
The 20-year-old stopper also made his international debut against France in November and acknowledges playing time is crucial if he wants to consolidate his place in the national team.
“The qualifying matches for the 2014 World Cup soon begin and I want to be the first-choice goalkeeper, although there is a lot of competition. If I play well at Atletico, it will hopefully help me achieve my goal.”
Courtois is seen by many as Petr Cech’s long-term successor at Chelsea, however the 30-year-old still has four years to run on his contract, leaving Courtois with the prospect of limited playing time should he return to Stamford Bridge.Follow @icentrocampista