- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
United face fight for La Liga star
- Updated: 1 June, 2012
Manchester United face a battle to sign Jordi Alba after the MailOnline reported Barcelona were favourites for the player’s signature.
United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is said to be keen on the Valencia star, viewing him as a long-term replacement for current Old Trafford left-back Patrice Evra.
However the Mail Online claim reports in Spain now suggest Barcelona are favourites to sign the 23-year-old and quote Valencia Sporting Director as telling Catalan daily SPORT: “I suppose Barcelona want him because he’s Catalan and plays on the left wing.
“We are obviously talking about an excellent player, and it’s only normal that Barcelona are keen to sign him.”
Alba came through Barça’s famed la Masia youth academy but was released by the club in 2005, going on to play for local side UE Cornella before making the move to Valencia in 2007. He has since gone on to make over 70 senior appearances at the Mestalla and made his international debut during Spain’s 3-1 victory over Scotland in Alicante last October.
United were linked with the left-back in April by The Sun, who claimed Ferguson had sent scouts to watch Alba play and suggested the player was rated at around £15 million.Follow @icentrocampista