- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Arsenal forward closing in on Spanish move
- Updated: 1 July, 2012
Arsenal striker Carlos Vela is nearing a switch to Real Sociedad and could move in 10-15 days according to Catalan daily Mundo Deportivo.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has given no indication that Vela has a future at the Emirates Stadium and Arsenal have sent the Mexican international on four separate loan deals during the past five seasons, including the 2011/12 campaign where he impressed at Basque side coached by Philippe Montanier.
Spanish newspaper Marca recently claimed the La Liga side were willing to make the Mexican international the highest earner at the club by offering him a four-year deal at the Anoeta, however there were reported problems with the £6million Arsenal rate the player at.
Nonetheless, Mundo Deportivo now report the Mexican is edging closer to a permanent move back to San Sebastian, suggesting a deal could be likely within two weeks.
Vela has been at la Real since January 2010 and scored an impressive 12 goals last season, including 10 in his final18 games. This form has left the Basques desperate to retain the player on a permanent basis and it was claimed they hoped to broker a deal that would lower the asking price but include a further percentage payment to the Gunners should Vela move elsewhere in the future.
Arsenal won the race to sign Vela in 2005 and the then 16-year-old arrived at the Emirates Stadium from Mexican side Guadalajara with a glowing reputation, however he has struggled to fulfil this potential and has only made 29 appearances for Wenger’s side.Follow @icentrocampista