- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Arsenal target wanted by German giants claim Spanish press
- Updated: 21 July, 2012
Reported Arsenal target Ibrahim Afellay is now wanted by German giants Borussia Dortmund and Schalke according to reports in Mundo Deportivo.
The Catalan sports daily recently suggested Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was keen on bringing the Barcelona winger to the Emirates, however it is now believed Bundesliga sides Borrussia Dortmund and Schalke have also joined the race for the Dutch international’s signature.
Afellay is said to want to remain at the Camp Nou to fight for a place in Tito Vilanova’s side, however speculation is growing that the former PSV Eindhoven star could be on his way out of the club, with Serie A side Inter also reported to be showing interest.
MD claim German champions Dortmund have already enquired about his availability, with Schalke also believed to be contemplating a move.
The 26-year-old first attracted interest from Arsenal two years ago although he was eventually signed by Barca for a fee said to be in the region of €3 million.
Afellay enjoyed a solid, if unspectacular first season at the Catalan giants, ironically making his Champions League debut against Arsenal in the Spring of 2011.
The Utrecht-born player endured a torrid 2011/12 campaign as serious cruciate ligament damaged kept him out until late April, when he returned as a late substitute against Rayo Vallecano. He was then part of the Dutch squad that were eliminated in the group stage of Euro 2012.
Arsenal meanwhile have already been busy in the transfer market, with Arsene Wenger bringing Lukas Poldolski and Olivier Giroud into his squad at the Emirates.Follow @icentrocampista