- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Chelsea in box seat to sign Spanish ace
- Updated: 26 July, 2012
Chelsea are said to be in the box seat for the signature of Marseille fullback Cesar Azpilicueta according to reports from Setanta Sports.
The European Champions have just completed a deal to take Brazilian starlet Oscar to Stamford Bridge, and Chelsea boss Roberto di Matteo is now said to be focusing on a new right back – with the Basque defender on his list of targets.
Azpilicueta joined Marseille in a €7 million deal from Osasuna in 2010 and has gone on to play 45 games for the French outfit. However, it is suggested that with financial difficulties at the club, the 22-year-old would be sold should the right offer be received.
Chelsea were recently linked to the Pamplona-born fullback by TalkSPORT who claimed the London side were targeting Azpilicueta after ending their pursuit of Inter’s Brazilian international, Maicon.
The highly-rated youngster came through the ranks at Osasuna, making his debut as a 17-year-old when came on as a second half substitute against Real Madrid in 2007.
Azpilicueta is quoted as saying: “It is flattering when you have clubs such as Chelsea interested but there are other clubs interested too.”
Chelsea are currently on their pre-season tour of the United States where Di Matteo’s side were beaten 3-2 by the MLS Allstars on Wednesday.Follow @icentrocampista