- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Chelsea could now lose out in battle for Serie A star
- Updated: 6 July, 2012
Chelsea may now lose out on Brazilian international Maicon after MARCA claim the fullback favours a move to Real Madrid.
The Spanish daily had reported Chelsea were closing in on the 30-year-old’s signature just hours earlier, with Roberto di Matteo viewing Maicon as the perfect replacement for Jose Bosingwa. However it now claims the Inter star may not be heading to Stamford Bridge after all.
The Madrid-based newspaper suggest Maicon favours a move to Spain, where he would link up with former boss Jose Mourinho at the Santiago Bernabeu – believing the Portuguese coach is also keen on a reunion with the player.
With just two weeks left until the start of pre-season and with Maicon said to be close to agreeing a deal with Chelsea, time may be at a premium, however Marca believe the former Monaco defender would prefer a switch to the Spanish capital should the La Liga champions make an approach.
The conflicting reports have lead to some doubt over where the player will end up on leaving Italy, and they will be sure to have complicate matters for Chelsea.
Blues boss Roberto di Matteo is currently preparing for his first full campaign in the Stamford Bridge hot seat, and will be hoping for to emulate the success of last season when the Italian guided Chelsea to Uefa Champions League glory.Follow @icentrocampista