- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
La Liga giants line up move for another Arsenal star
- Updated: 31 July, 2012
Arsenal midfielder Alex Song has emerged as a shock transfer target for Barcelona according to reports from TalkSPORT.
The Cameroon international is a key member of the Arsenal squad and boss Arsene Wenger will be loathe to lose one of his most influential players, especially after the departure of captain Cesc Fabregas to the Catalan club last summer.
However, reports suggest Barca are plotting a move to prise Song away from the Emirates Stadium as they look to bring a defensive midfield player to the Camp Nou ahead of the new season.
Athletic Club star Javi Martinez has been highlighted as their top target, however, it is now believed they are ready to give up on their pursuit of the Spanish international as the Basque club refuse to lower their asking price.
Quoting Barcelona-based daily newspaper SPORT, the reports suggest Barca are looking for a cheaper alternative with Song apparently now on their radar. It is even claim a bid of £11.7 million could be in the pipeline.
Song arrived at Arsenal on loan from French outfit Bastia in 2005 and went onto make a permananet switch to North London 12 months later. He has since made over 130 appearances for Arsene Wenger’s side and has become an integral part of the French tactician’s team.Follow @icentrocampista