- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Liverpool make move for South American star
- Updated: 26 July, 2012
Liverpool have made a move for Venezuelan centre-back Fernando Amorebieta according to Spanish sports daily, Marca.
Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers is said to believe the Athletic Bilbao defender would fit perfectly into his system at Liverpool and it is claimed contact has already been made with the Basque club over a possible switch.
The 27-year-old’s current contract at San Mames expires in June 2013 and Athletic face the prospect of losing the player for nothing should a new deal not be penned.
Amorebieta is reported to have a buy-out clause of €45 million in his current deal and there are no signs that Athletic Club president Josu Urrutia wants to sell the player, however with just 12 months left on his current deal they may face a difficult decision over his future.
Liverpool meanwhile have a number of Spanish-speaking players and staff at the club and Rodgers is said to want to implement a similar passing system at Anfield that Amorebieta is used to playing in under Marcelo Bielsa in Bilbao.Follow @icentrocampista