- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Six players to watch in La Liga this season
- Updated: 26 July, 2012
Real Madrid’s title triumph last season was undoubtedly driven by the sublime talents of their Portuguese superstar, Cristiano Ronaldo. The 27-year-old scored an incredible 58 goals for Jose Mourinho’s side as they finally ended four years of dominance from their bitter rivals, Barcelona.
Despite losing their grip on the crown however, Barca still had some standout performers during the campaign – not least the current World Footballer of the Year, Lionel Messi. The Argentine maestro had yet another fantastic season and even outscored Ronaldo as he netted 70 times.
While Ronaldo and Messi may have grabbed the majority of headlines during the 2011/12 season, there were other players who came to prominence after enjoying impressive campaigns in Spain.
Players such as Inigo Martinez and Guillherme Siquiera proved to be revelations for clubs struggling in the wrong half of the table, while youngsters Iker Muniain, Javi Martinez and Ander Herrera all shone for Athletic Club as the Basques reached two cup finals under Marcelo Bielsa.
Then there was the latest generation of La Masia starlets to breakthrough at Barcelona and an exciting group of players emerging at Real Madrid.
With just four weeks until the start of a new campaign, Conner Andrews takes a look at which young players could be set to grab the headlines during the 2012/13 La Liga season.