- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Tottenham closing in on La Liga defender
- Updated: 18 July, 2012
Tottenham Hotspur are closing in on the signature of Real Madrid star Ricardo Carvalho according to reports from The Metro.
Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas worked with the defender at both Porto and Chelsea, and Tottenham have identified Carvalho as a potential member of the White Hart Lane coaching staff.
It is suggested Spurs may be able to take over the final year of Carvalho’s contract at the Spanish champions with boss Jose Mourinho keen to get the player off the club’s wage bill.
The 34-year-old former Portuguese international joined Real Madrid in the summer of 2010 for a reported £6.7 million and went on to enjoy an impressive debut campaign in La Liga.
Last season saw the Amarante-born player fall down the pecking order at the Bernabey however and Carvalho featured in just 13 competitive games for Mourinho’s side.
The transfer was first discussed last month but now appears more likely after Carvalho was told he has no future in Mourinho’s side.
Tottenham have already strengthen their defence this summer with the arrival of Belgina international Jan Vertonghen from Ajax, however it is believed Younes Kaboul and Michael Dawson would form Villas-Boas’ first choice centre back pairing.Follow @icentrocampista