- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Arsenal heading for frustration in race for ex-La Liga star
- Updated: 28 November, 2012
Arsenal could be set for frustration in their pursuit of Klaas-Jan Huntelaar after they were told the could not afford the former-Real Madrid ace.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger was hoping a £6 million bid would be enough to take the Dutch international to the Emirates Stadium in January, however, according to The Sun, Arsenal have been told buy his club Schalke that they cannot afford him.
Wenger is reported to have been promised funds following last week’s £150million sponsorship deal with Emirates, however, Arsenal pursuit of Huntelaar may be heading for a dead end.
The 29-year-old striker is out of contract at the end of this season and he has been linked with an exit from the Gelsenkirchen club, however, Schalke Gerneral Manager Horst Heldt recently said: “There have been no offers or any sign of Klaas-Jan leaving.
“If someone comes to us six months before the expiry date, and has a lot of money, we will deal with it.
“But from Arsenal circles we hear there is no money anyway.”
Huntelaar scored eight goals in 20 games for Real Madrid, having joined them from Dutch giants Ajax Amsterdam in January 2009 for a fee reported to be in the region of £16 million, however, he was sold to Milan that summer and joined Schalke after just one season in Italy. The Achterhoek-born star has since gone on to score an impressive 40 goals in 62 games for the Bundesliga club.
Arsenal currently sit sixth in the Barclays Premier League, however, fans have grown inpatient after star man Robin van Persie left the Emirates during the summer.Follow @icentrocampista