- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
The Best of the Best – La Liga’s Top XI Players of the Season
- Updated: 12 January, 2013
Just as it had done for the previous three season, Spanish football dominated Monday’s 2012 Ballon d’Or celebration held at the Kongresshaus in Zurich. Not did Barcelona star Lionel Messi collect his fourth consecutive award for the best player on the planet, but Spanish national team boss Vicente Del Bosque also picked up the award handed out to the best coach in the game. Just as impressive however, was the fact that the FIFA/FIFPro team of the year consisted wholly over players from La Liga.
After the Spanish game achieved such overwhelming success in the Swiss capital, now is as good a time as any to pick our best eleven of La Liga season so far – based solely on statistics. We should warn you before we start however, that our list differs somewhat to that announced by European footballs governing body at the start of the week.