- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Arsenal step up interest in Real Madrid target
- Updated: 4 April, 2012
Arsenal have stepped up their interest in Real Madrid target Olivier Giroud and have begun preparations for a potential summer swoop for the Montpellier player.
Reports in today’s Daily Mail claim Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has instructed club scouts to prepare a dossier on the French international and also asked former Arsenal defender Grimaldi to keep tabs on Giroud’s performance in Ligue 1 until the end of the season.
Wenger was alerted to availability of the 25-year-old Montpellier striker when his club said they would be willing to sell Giroud, for the right amount, early last month but there are also a number of other clubs interested in Giroud, including Spanish league leaders Real Madrid.
Jose Mourinho is said to be keen on the 25-year-old, who is currently the hottest property in French football, and Madrid were linked with a summer move for the player in Spanish media reports last month.
However, the news that Wenger is showing increased interest in bringing the highly-rated striker to the Emirates Stadium, suggests Arsenal may be in pole position for Giroud’s signature.
Arsenal have suffered from inconsistency this season and will have gone nine years without silverware by the end of the season, despite the sensational goalscoring form of Robin van Persie.