- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Chelsea deal to capture Spanish star is imminent
- Updated: 16 August, 2012
Big spending Chelsea could tie up the transfer of Basque fullback Cesar Azpilicueta as early as Thursday evening according to French newspaper La Provence.
It was recently claimed by The Sun that Chelsea wanted to strengthen the right side of defence at Stamford Bridge and had made the Marseille star their number one target.
The report also suggested that the reigning European champions had made an unsuccessful bid of £5 million for the player, with the French side said to be demanding at least £8 million.
Reports from France now suggest a deal is imminent however, with a five year deal coasting between €8 million and €10 million said to have been agreed.
Blues boss Roberto Di Matteo has been left with little cover in the position following the exit of Jose Bosingwa’s earlier this summer, and fellow Portuguese international Paulo Ferreira is now the sole dedicated right back at the club.
Azpilicueta joined Marseille from La Liga side Osasuna two years ago and has proven a revelation in France, where the Pamplona-born star has played 45 games and scored one goal.
Capped by Spain at every level from Under-16, Azpilicueta is regarded as one of the most promising young defenders in Europe and has been linked with a number of clubs during the past 12 months.Follow @icentrocampista