- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Classic el Clásico #3 – Sweet revenge for Madrid as Cruyff’s Barcelona are humiliated in the capital
- Updated: 7 October, 2012
Real Madrid were looking for revenge when they hosted Barcelona almost one year to the day after suffering a humiliating 5-0 loss to the Catalans.
And to be fair to Jorge Valdanos’ side, they definitely got it. The Argentine took up the Bernabeu reins at the end of the 1993/94 season, and promised to break Barça’s four-year dominance of la liga.
The former player was true to his word, by the end of the season they had become champions and also inflicted a 5-0 victory of their own against their bitter rivals. As in the previous season’s five goal victory for Barcelona, the game was again dominated by hat-trick performance, this time from Chilean striker Ivan Zamorano.
Further irony was added by the man-of-the-match performance from former Barça favourite Michael Laudrup, who had switched sides during the summer of 1994 following a breakdown in relationship with Johan Cruyff. The game was over as a contest by half-time as Zamorano’s treble had given the home side a three-goal advantage.
Luis Enrique, who would later go the opposite direction to Laudrup and become a Barça favourite, grabbed a fourth in the 68th minute, before Jose Amavisca rounded off a memorable day for los blancos with a fifth two minutes later.
It was a remarkable performance from Real Madrid and one from which Barça never truly recovered – Cruyff to this day says it ranks as one of his worse moments in football.Follow @icentrocampista