- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Liverpool set to miss out in race for La Liga star
- Updated: 6 November, 2012
Liverpool look set to miss out on the signature of Athletic Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta according to The Metro after they claimed Zenit St Petersburg will out-bid the English side.
The Venzuelan was linked with Liverpool by Marca in July after claims that Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers believed the 27-year-old would fit perfectly into his Liverpool playing system. It was also further claimed contact had already been made with the Basque club over a possible move.
However, it is now understood that Russian side Zenit and Italian giants Roma are showing increased interest in Amorebieta – who could now be available for a knock-down fee of around £8 million. Reports from TalkSPORT on Monday claimed officials from big spending Zent have already met with their counterparts at Athletic over a possible switch during the January transfer window – a claim also substantiated by The Metro.
Amorebieta is reported to have a buy-out clause of £26 million on his current deal at San Mames, however, with that expiring in June 2013 Athletic face the very real prospect of losing the player for nothing should a new contract not be penned.
Liverpool were originally priced out of a move for Amorebieta when they were told they would have to meet the player’s buy-out fee, however, with the player set to be made available for a significantly lower price, Brendan Rodgers may still be hopeful of taking him to Anfield.Follow @icentrocampista