- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
Samba star on his way to Chelsea?
- Updated: 7 July, 2012
Chelsea are expected to sign Brazilian star Maicon according to Marca who report Real Madrid have pulled out of the race to sign the player.
The Spanish sports daily had recently suggested Chelsea could face a challenge in bringing the Inter player to Stamford Bridge and claimed the 30-year-old favoured a switch to the Spanish capital ahead of Roberto di Matteo’s side.
However it is now reported Madrid have closed the door on a deal for the player – something which has infuriated Jose Mourinho who was in charge of Maicon during his time at the Italian giants and was keen on a reunion at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Mourinho has been keen to bring some competition for Alvaro Arbeloa at the Spanish champions, however the Portuguese coach faced problems as the club wanted a younger player who would provide more future potential than the experienced Brazilian international.
According to the Madrid-based newspaper Chelsea have already agreed terms with Maicon and the former-Monaco defender is expected to join the Stamford Bridge outfit in the next few days.Follow @icentrocampista