- S.D. Eibar ready for maiden La Liga outing
- SD Eibar stengthen ahead of debut La Liga season
- Can ‘Super Mario’ live up to expectations in Madrid?
- MAN IN THE GROUND – Brentford 0 – 4 Osasuna
- Historic Basque derby welcomes S.D. Eibar to La Liga
- Munich to Madrid, via Brazil – Tony Kroos
- Rakitic in Spanish Switch
- Can Spain find redemption in Rio?
- Viva Espana! A season of redemption for Spanish football
- From the old to the new: who can fill the void in years to come for La Roja?
THE TOP FIVE BRITISH LA LIGA EXPORTS
- Updated: 21 February, 2012
The English press love linking British players with moves abroad, mainly to La Liga. In recent times barely a month goes past without a story linking Wayne Rooney or Gareth Bale to the Bernabeu or Nou Camp, it was the same five years ago with Gerrard and Lampard.
In truth it’s almost all fabricated, a method to sell papers during a quiet week. The hot topic for the tabloids in recent weeks has been the performances of Gareth Bale supposedly attracting the attention of Barcelona.
In the last few years it’s almost unheard of for a prominent British player to move abroad, the last one being David Beckham almost a decade ago. Beckham, who won two trophies with Real Madrid, is an example of a player who made it in La Liga.
However he was certainly not the first, let’s take a look back at a top five of British players of the modern era to have played in La Liga.